Does Mental and Dental Health Go Together? Why Oral Health is Important
It may not look like it, but your oral and mental health has a lot to say together. Several researchers have concluded that oral health can affect mental health and vice-versa.
While poor oral health can lose someone’s confidence, scientists suggest that it can affect mental health too. According to several studies, poor oral health can cause:
• Low self-image
• Low self-esteem
• Low self-worth
That usually may lead to:
• Social anxiety
• Social isolation
But, that is not all; several studies have shown that poor oral health has a significant impact on memory loss. Several pieces of research have suggested that the bacteria from Periodontitis, Gingivitis, and other oral diseases can travel into the bloodstream and may flow into the brain, which may cause destruction and inflammation of the neurons, leading to memory loss. In the worst case scenario, it could lead to dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and other similar disorders that trigger loss of cognitive functioning.
Here is how your dental hygiene can affect your mental health:
1. Poor dental or oral health can affect someone’s speech. Dental problems, such as missing teeth and misaligned teeth aren’t simply embarrassing dental problems, but it can lose someone’s confidence, which can affect someone’s speech, leading to social isolation and social anxiety.
2. Missing teeth affect self-esteem and self-image; studies have indicated that low self-esteem and self-image can cause depression and anxiety.
3. Dental pain can worsen someone’s anxiety.
Poor dental health can also affect overall health, such as:
• Cardiovascular disease
• Respiratory infection
• Alzheimer’s disease
To eliminate the risks of having a mental health problem related to the dental health problem, here are the top ways to address dental health:
1. Proper nutrition; Avoiding diets that are high in sugar. Sugar encourages a healthy environment for bacteria to thrive, causing dental caries and gum problems.
2. Avoid using any tobacco products, because it can stain the teeth, leading to periodontitis and cancer too.
3. Do not ignore persisting dental problems; If you have missing teeth, try dental implants. There are affordable dental implants that you can trust. Also, if you have dental or gum problems, always consult your dentist.
4. Consult your dentist if you are suffering from an infected root canal, because if you try to ignore it, it’ll cause systemic disease, like heart disease.
5. A dental filling is one of the best dental solutions for dental breaks and cracks; smiling with dental cracks can pull down your self-confidence, so, take advantage of dental fillings.
6. Be consistent with taking care of your oral hygiene. Do not forget to floss each day. Also, you may use toothpaste with xylitol and other non-toxic dental products to maintain the natural pH of the mouth.
Dental health and mental health do go together; if you want to keep your mental health stable, always keep your dental health as healthy as possible. Also, do not forget to visit your dentist.